Sunday 23 September 2012

My first camera experiences

This week I tried my hand at experimenting with a video camera. With this, I tried out a variety of different camera angles, shots and movements.
Overall, I found the camera angles the easiest to work with. These included low angle shots, high angle shots and over the shoulder shots. I personally found these easier because the environment in which I was capturing these shots helped to create these angles. I mean by this, the ground lent itself to a low angle shot and a bench would be sufficient material for a high angled shot.
Next I tried out some camera shots. These varied in difficulty. All the; extreme long shot, long shot and mid shot were easy to carry out due to the movement of the camera its self being able to move further away or closer in to the subject in focus. Whereas when considering the close up and the extreme close up this is not possible. Doing this with a steady hand is a challenge due to the zoom of the camera being unstable. This is therefore a suitable time to use a tripod. A tripod is a fairly easy piece of equipment to set up. Once this has been achieved and the camera is placed on top, this is when you can achieve your close up shots due to perfect stability of the camera. A tripod is also used for a two shot because the camera has to be moved around two characters in an arc shape.
Finally for the camera movements I used a dolley. This piece is slightly more complicated to set up due to it being a fairly large piece of equipment. A dolley has wheels so it is able to track movements. From this I carried out tracking, sideways, tilt, arc, crane and panning shots. These were harder to gain perfection in due to the uneven surfaces the dolley was being taken across.

1 comment:

  1. Useful experimentation, Nicole. It will help with the preliminary task.

    ReplyDelete